Feed on
Posts
Comments
-->

Apparently, religious people don’t know that much about religion:

In fact, although the United States is one of the most religious developed countries in the world, most Americans scored 50 percent or less on a quiz measuring knowledge of the Bible, world religions and what the Constitution says about religion in public life.

Atheists do a little bit better, in large part (I assume) because a lot of the questions are things you’d know from reading Your Religion Is False. And, in fairness to the religious folks, a lot of the things on the test are sort of obscure, like Maimonides and Indonesia and the Ten Commandments.

I’m most perplexed* by the following result:

Barely half of all Catholics know that when they take communion, the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ, according to Catholic doctrine.

You’d think they’d figure that one out just from the taste and texture.

* That’s a Maimonides joke. Har har.

15 Responses to “Poll: Religious People Don’t Know That Much About Religion”

1. Sven says:

Ha! I got 10 out of 10 answers correct.

2. James Sweet says:

Where’s the quiz? I can’t find it.

Out of the examples they gave in the CNN article, the only one I didn’t know was Maimonides. I should have known that one too — I’ve heard the name — but I just couldn’t remember.

I wasn’t super-confident about the first four books of the New Testament, but I took a guess and I was 100% right.

3. James Sweet says:

Ah, found it! Yeah I got 9 out of 10. Not too shabby.

4. Daniel de Culla says:

Religion is False, it’s the Plain Truth. Religion is for motherfuckers, and pig bastards.

5. dmab says:

What do you want, you little f*ckers?

more of these idiots

youtube.com/watch?v=q4C5yzFmC80

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_for_evidence_of_the_paranormal

HOW NOSTRADAMUS WON ALL THE PARANORMAL PRIZES!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus

pz myers does not exist…
    _______________

richarddawkins.net/discussions/543672-inhertitance-of-acquired-behaviour-adaptions-and-brain-gene-expression-in-chickens

atheists, we’re gonna cut off your heads…

THE HIGH PRICE OF REVOLUTION

youtube.com/user/zozviolate

6. David A. Kevorkian says:

WOW , atheists live in harmony and peace. We as atheists would never threaten to “cut off the heads” of Christians. You relgious zealots seemingly know NOTHING about all the blood and human lives sacrificed in the name of Christianity , as it still doesn’t appease your thirst for continued violence, stupidity , and above all ignorance. WHY? ; Why are you Christians so threatened? Actually I belive it’s quite a simple explanation : the brainwashing and subtle form of child abuse you’ve endured since childbirth just may be helping you to “see the light”instead of making you look like jackasses , but as of now , you’re in the transitional stage. Thanks so much , and make sure “you keep that faith.”

7. Bubba the Clown says:

Probably the only time in my life I have seen the words “transubstantiation” and “Maimonedes” next to each other.

IN my limited experience most Catholics are not religious and hate the pope. At any rate, that’s what I’ve learned living in a Catholic country where “me cago en dios” (“I shit on god”) is a commonly heard phrase. The Catholic church is the oldest (and therefore among the most evil) human institution in continuing existence, and likes to think of itself as the biggest (I don’t know which is bigger – Catholic Church or China). One way it maintains its sense of self-importance is that once someone has been baptized, they are a catholic forever and always. Getting oneself removed from the list requires a meeting with a bishop, and the bishops don’t give out appointments. It’s like trying to renounce US citizenship, only without the IRS audit.

8. Geovani says:

its funny how you idiots don’t believe in god, till your half dead on the floor yelling oh god, or when your kids are slowly dieing asking you if they are going to heaven or Hell, tell then you robbed them from their salvation and will be condemned for denying your lord. then again we need people like you, just like we needed Judah to make everything happen into place. Just because you don’t belive dose not mean he don’t exist, think about that.

9. Jake says:

Well, Christianity is a religion where all the ceremonies and blessings( communion, baptism, confirmation), don’t get you into heaven. Knowing the bible won’t get you into heaven, and going to church won’t get you into heaven. Some people like to summarize it into this “it is by grace you have been saved” all you have to do is repent to the lord( which lots of people ask ” why should I repent, what if there isn’t a god?) well, it is your belief, and there are stories of people going to Heaven/Hell. On the Other hand, almost all other major religions focus on pleasing there god and trying to do good works to get into the afterlife. Humans can only do so much, and its pretty hard to have more good works than bad ones

10. Anon says:

Ignorance is a virtue for the christards. The less they know about their surroundings, the more real is their piece of shit desert god.

11. Jean de la Verriere says:

Some of the troubles with the reiigious people is WHEN THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTHS. Their intention is to attack you, convince you, transform you and pocket you !!!! Suddenly usually their face take a strange appearance of fright, pity, and distorted by fear, and open disintegration. then the puke and the vomit comes out of the hole in their face and they are transported somewhere (Where I don’t want to go !!!!)

12. Milos says:

we would be better off if, every once in a while, we would take the time and put in the eforft to figure something out, from scratch, on our own. ***This is where creativity and innovation comes from.***Not from a random breaking the rules or change is good attitude. London rioters broke the rules. Public discord is certainly a change. What did they discover? What did they build?No, you immerse yourself in the physical phenomena of this world, you immerse yourself in the commentaries of the past, and then you *figure out what the rules actually are*. If what you figure out differs from what went before, if you realize that something is possible, and it works (without serious unintended consequences), you’ve probably innovated.Applying a rule broadly enough in itself changes the rules sometimes even the underlying logic that spawned the new, innovative rule . Some rules can collapse, when relied upon in the wrong way safe as houses comes to mind. Overuse of Keynsianism (public credit) is another. The Blue Social Model itself falls under this caveat, for that matter. Other times, situations get better, the more broadly the rules are applied (turning to the other cheek, for example.) While relatively small numbers of shirkers or rebels can ruin the system for everyone, they can still make the everyday world a better place.If your study is humanity, and you study with any integrity, you’ll probably agree with a big chunk of past commentaries. Human nature hasn’t changed all that much. We are still male and female, and that’s how the next generation of children is born. We need food and shelter, and without help from outside sources of energy what we can create for ourselves isn’t very much. We still need to be useful. We still need to keep busy. We still get old and die. Figure things out. Learn what the rules really are. Understand the assumptions. Understand the limitations of your approach. Approach experts with a degree of skepticism. Don’t get careless with extrapolations or oversimplifications, as policy wanks are so prone to do.

13. Before our atheist epiphany, many of us had a religion — usually the same one our parents had. After atheism, though, what is there? A lifetime of zealously not believing?

I used to be a card-carrying member of both a Humanist group and a Skeptic group. After 5 years of that, though, I wanted more than clubs dedicated to disbelief. Of course, I salute those people who campaign for separation of church and state (and projects like that), but that’s not my cup of tea. I guess my thing is looking for an alternative to religion that doesn’t insult my intelligence.

Surprisingly, I’ve found a lot of ex-believers who seek rational yet sometimes ineffable answers. I write about such things in my blog, but if you want a good example of ineffable, consider discoveries like the two-slit experiment in quantum physics! Holy cats! (Well, not “holy,” I guess, but Erwin Schrödinger DID have a cat, sort-of.)

There’s a lot for the post-atheist to do, once the fierce disbelieving is done. I’m grateful that there are people (like the guy who writes this blog) who are writing books and running websites to challenge shallow belief systems. I hope, though, that they don’t get dragged down by the never-ending battle against ignorance.

14. LJN says:

Stupid christfilth vomited:

:::its funny how you idiots don’t believe in god, till your half dead on the floor yelling oh god:::

I have multiple sclerosis, you genocidal filth. I haven’t asked once for your genocidal scum imaginary friend to help me, you disgusting FILTH.

::: or when your kids are slowly dieing asking you if they are going to heaven or Hell:::

We don’t believe in your torture chamber of heaven or hell, stupid, so we don’t worry about our kids going to either. Do you worry about coming back as the pond scum you are for rejecting Vishnu? No, then why do you expect us to worry about going to your disgusting heaven, moron?

::: tell then you robbed them from their salvation and will be condemned for denying your lord.:::

Stupid genocidal word salad is stupid genocidal word salad

:::then again we need people like you, just like we needed Judah to make everything happen into place.:::

More genocidal stupidity and threats that if we don’t believe your scum delusion that we deserve to be tortured. You’re a repulsive piece of trash.

:::Just because you don’t belive dose not mean he don’t exist, think about that.::::

Just because a bunch of you halfwit cousin-humpers believe in your genocidal filth in the sky doesn’t mean that it exists, moron.

The only thing that will settle it is evidence that passes muster with people who aren’t gullible morons (hint: you’re a gullible moron), and you don’t have ANY of that. Not one stinking shred.

NORMAL people with brains don’t believe in things that there’s no evidence for, moron.

I’d tell you to think about that yourself, but you’re too stupid from your genocidal filth delusion to be capable of it.

15. Very informative blog.Much thanks again. Much obliged.